I am officially moving to the new RHFH blog please come over and join me. If you have a minute please change my address in your blog sidebars for me. I want all of you to continue to follow our work here in Haiti. I promise to continue with blog post from the RC and many, many stories from my life here in Haiti. Will you join me?
Moving…January 11, 2011
Guess what?January 6, 2011
After 10 years of being married, 4 beautiful kids, 3 different times applying, many tears, many frustrations, many trips to the USA without him. Enoch got his visa! He can now visit the USA with his family! We wanted to share the video below. We waited until he arrived home to tell the kids.
Mary, the boys teacher, had just arrived back from her break in the USA. She brought the boys presents and that is what Trey is referring to at the end of the video. Enjoy!
Don’t forgetJanuary 3, 2011
to check out Real Hope for Haiti’s new web site here! We will be moving this blog there soon!
It’s time to PARTY like it’s 1975!!!January 2, 2011
Happy 36th Birthday to Elicia Betor!!!! We (Anna and Jess) have broken onto the blog in order to notify you of this important day. Please please please leave an encouraging birthday message for our friend Licia. We would love to see record breaking comments on this post, so get those fingers typing. 🙂
Here are 36 reasons why we dearly love Licia Betor:
1. She puts up with us and even laughs with/at? us sometimes
2. She has the 4 cutest (and funniest) kids everrrrrrr!
3. She likes Hot Tamales
4. She deeply cares about each one of the kids that are in her care….more than any of us even know.
5. (Anna loves) Her precision in measuring while baking
6. She sees everyone as her equal
7. Her patience!!!!
8. She allows Jesus to live and love through her
9. She plays the same playlist over and over…and over…AND over in the office
10. She often has to wake up late at night to give a child a “piki” (shot) , IV meds, etc.
11. Her favorite movie is Elf!
12. She takes us on long hikes up in the mountains
13. She continues to allow Jesus to break her heart for the people she serves.
14. She has hundreds and hundreds of funny/moving/jaw dropping stories.
15. She’s chill.
16. She can’t resist Trey’s puppy eyes.
17. She is INCREDIBLY gracious!
18. She prioritizes her precious family
19. She has allowed us to be a part of her life
20. Her spelling is impeccable
21. She truly trusts the Lord
22. She’s precious
23. She gives a voice to the people she loves through her blog
24. She is truly “Haitian” in that she wears her nice jeans and tennis shoes every time she goes into town. 🙂
25. She is someone that we look up to
26. She’s in denial that she’s famous in the blogging world
27. She loves House and lets us watch it at her house with her
28. She buys us mangos 🙂
29. She can take a bucket shower in as little as one gallon of water. That’s impressive!
30. She’ll spend hours chatting with us late into the night
31. She is picking up on American pop-culture and fully diving in (It’s quite entertaining. We love you @Elicia Zachary Betor)
32. She’s extremely positive…she always finds the silver lining.
33. She passionately worships the Lord with all her heart
34. She has sacrificed so much, but she wouldn’t have had it any other way.
35. She lets us make fun of her and her wheezy laugh
36. When you ask her kids what they love about her they say “So much I don’t even know what to say” (true story. Henley and Carmelo both said this without knowing each other had said it.)
WE LOVE YOU LICIA!!
New Web siteDecember 31, 2010
We want to welcome you to our new RHFH website! You can click here to see it. We are happy with the results and excited that we have something to direct everyone too. My blog will be moving there soon. Lori, Casey and I will be doing most of the blogging. But we will have guest bloggers, and Charlie, Enoch and dad will be joining in every once in a while. Lori and I feel pressure at times to get something up so you can know what is happenings here at RHFH. We hope that you will enjoy our new site. Check it out and let us know what you think!
quick updateDecember 30, 2010
- We have a team of 4 here from Indiana. A board member, Jeremy, and his son. Ron (who has been here several times) and his son. The are very low key guest. (which are the best) They work all day and play with the kids at night. We love having them here and enjoy their fellowship. They have repaired the clinic gate and help build a house. Today they began to repair the shelter where patients wait to be seen in the clinic.
- We have another team of 5 here for 2 days. This is the first time meeting them. They were scheduled to come in right after the earthquake in Jan. It is a mix of doctors and other medical staff. The doctors did consults today on many people from the village. Another did women’s health screening for 19 women. We have a terrible burn that we took in two days ago. They have been helping to figure out medications and dressing changes for her. They are a great encouragement to us and the staff. A real blessing for RHFH. PTL!
- Anna and Jess are still here with us. They have been working very hard. All the odd jobs that we cannot ask anyone else to do they have been doing. They will never know what a great help they have been to us already. We just love them both so much. Lori and I need fellowship and laughter in our lives. They are filling this need as well. 🙂
- There is a 10-year-old girl named Claudette that is with us. She is burned very badly and we are not sure if she will live or not. We need you to pray for her. She is also in a great deal of pain.
- the cholera house is still in full swing with many patients
- Madelene is still with us and doing well. Continue to pray for her.
- Exciting news for RHFH site coming up tomorrow!
Christmas Eve dayDecember 28, 2010
MadeleneDecember 24, 2010
I wanted you to wake up this Christmas day to the blessing I recieved on Christmas eve. As I walked by Madelene she called out my name. I went to her and asked what she wanted. Fried fish she told me. I said okay but you must sing for me today. So I went and got the fried fish. And she sang to us! Sang her little heart out.
I have truely fallen in love with this little girl. It is amazing the amount of damage that can be done from neglect and malnutriton. But….by the grace of God…. and only by His grace……
She is improving. She is sitting up. She is taking her medications and eating. She is beginning to heal. I cannot think of a better Christmas present for me (and all of you) today.
The smiling face of Madelene. TO God be all the Glory!
Take just a minute to read these lyrics from Grace by the Martins
I was in prison, locked up in chains sin held me captive
to sorrow and pain, years of frustrations as love passed me by
until the Master heard my hearts cry
For grace marvelous grace, I needed grace to pardon and make
me whole grace marvelous grace flows from above with infinite love
I was downhearted I was broken inside praying for mercy with
nowhere to hide, there was a solace searching for me grace
everflowing that set my soul free
For grace marvelous grace I needed grace to pardon and make me
whole grace marvelous grace flows from above with infinite love
I am forgiven
I am redeemed
A brand new creation He saved me and gave me a reason to sing
Grace, Grace God’s Grace grace that will pardon and cleanse within
Grace, Grace God’s Grace grace that is greater than all our sins
For Grace marvelous grace flows from above with infinite love
The Betor kids wish you all a very Merry Christmas!December 24, 2010
Merry ChristmasDecember 24, 2010
20 But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. 21 And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins.”
22 So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: 23 “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.”
Tomorrow will be Christmas day. We are looking forward to having a blessed day with family and friends here at RHFH. We wanted to take this time to thank you. Your words of encouragement have made a difference to so many here in Haiti, even us, and the RHFH staff. We often share with them messages, emails and notes that people have sent to us. We want them to know and feel your love. It is important to us that they know so many people all over the world care and love them. We feel your love, they feel your love and it is real. God uses many people to reach those that are lost. A simple touch to a sick and dying person can bring peace and healing to their tired bodies. A hug to a malnourished neglected child can make their whole day change. A pat on the head can bring joy to a sad child. A cup of cool (filtered and treated :)) water makes many feel safe and protected with all the cholera around. The simple act of loving- -pure Jesus love–changes the hearts and lives of many. We love each of you in a special way. Many of you we will never meet here on earth. Many of you will never get to visit us here in Haiti. But together we are showing the love of Jesus to many. And that my friends, it what is all about. Showing His love through our work to save as many soul as we can.