New on School that Collapsed

From: leonie hermantin <>

Posted on Sun, Nov. 09, 2008

Girl, 8, recalls 12-hour Haitian school collapse ordeal

The school bell had just sounded, officially putting an end to the game of
hide-and-seek, when 8-year-old Murielle Esta noticed the blocks of cement
falling from the sky.

”Rocks, rocks, rocks are falling,” she told the school’s director.

Instead of sending Murielle and her classmates to safety, however, School
Director Jimmy Antoine ordered them back to class. Before she could make it up
the stairs, her archaically built three-story school building collapsed.
Murielle would remain trapped for 12 hours beneath piles of cement from a
collapsed wall near the staircase — and two dead classmates — before a Good
Samaritan eventually pulled her out of the rubble amid her desperate pleas for
God to “please save me, please save me.”

As Murielle recalled the horrifying tragedy Sunday from her hospital bed, both
of her legs were wrapped in bandages and her right arm was also taped up. She
moaned and cried ”Papi! Papi!” from the excruciating pain.
Leonard Esta, an unemployed construction worker, tried desperately to console
his daughter, all the while mourning the loss of his other child, 6-year-old
son Ostevé.

The boy, who also attended the school, made it out alive but eventually died at
a local hospital. Esta has yet to tell Murielle, saying he wants to spare her
any more grief. Adding to his fears, he said, is that doctors have told him
that despite an operation to save Murielle’s swollen legs, she could still lose

”That is a load I cannot carry,” he said, breaking into tears.

After spending all night searching for more survivors in the rubble of the
collapsed College La Promesse Evangelique in this Port-au-Prince suburb and
then chasing false rumors Sunday of trapped victims calling relatives on their
cellphones, emergency workers moved into recovery mode.


The decision was a recognition that after nearly 72 hours there was little hope
of finding any more children or teachers alive in the tragedy that had already
claimed 89 lives and injured 150 teachers and children, including 8-year-old

”We don’t want to risk the life of the population or the rescue workers,”
said Haitian President René Préval as he was being briefed by rescue workers
from the United States and Martinique. “But the more time that passes, the
less time we have of finding anyone alive.”

The decision to begin the recovery came amid growing frustrations from angry
residents who tried to push past United Nations peacekeepers in riot gear.

Residents in the area complained that the effort was taking too long, and they
should be allowed in to find their children — dead or alive.

At one point, the residents hung a sign saying, ”These are our children,” and
later another, saying, “Give Haitians a chance. The task is tremendous. It’s a
catastrophe. Please.”

There are likely to be more victims, but excavating deeper into the collapsed
school has proven tricky.


Disaster experts on the scene say the main obstacle to reaching deep into the
rubble is a large, collapsed beam in the rear of the school.

And on Sunday, winds from Tropical Storm Paloma in the Caribbean were causing
vibrations and increasing fears that there could be a secondary collapse of the
building and that the chances of finding anyone alive would diminish.

”The biggest issue is the large slab. We need to figure out a way to save it
or take parts of it away,” a member of the Fairfax County, Va., rescue team
told the president. “It’s going to be quite difficult and dangerous.”

With help of teachers, the team had drawn a map of the building and said they
have been checking pockets. They have even called some of those believed
trapped on their cellphones — but have gotten no answer. But every check costs
time in the recovery, they said.

”We have to work faster,” a member of the Martinique brigade said, joining
his American colleagues in asking the politically delicate question of whether
rescuers should stop looking for survivors and begin the recovery phase.

Préval left the decision to his minister in charge, emphasizing the primary
objective is to find as many people alive as possible but at the same time he
agreed that the process has to move faster.

On Sunday, authorities also launched their investigation into what happened,
questioning the owner of the school, whom residents say also lived inside the
building with his wife and children.

Leonard Esta and others in the school’s vicinity paint a portrait of an
”ambitious man” who continued to add floors and rooms to the school without
any regard to the safety of the children.

For instance, one reason why authorities still do not know how many children
were in the school is because Fridays are what the school calls ”Color day”
when students are allowed to trade in their gray uniforms for jeans and polo
shirts. But to participate, students must pay a fee. Because of that, some
suspect all 700 children may not have attended school that day.

Esta said when he could not pay the $312 for both Murielle and her brother last
month, for instance, the pastor sent the children home, telling Esta he needed
to pay for them to attend school. Esta, who says he chose the school because it
was more affordable than others, borrowed the money from friends.

”Even if it means I can only own a single pair of pants, it’s important for me
to make sure that my children can attend school,” he said. “The hope that I
have is tomorrow, they could help me get, five pairs, 10 or even a dozen. All
of my sacrifice in life is for my children, to school them and help them

Esta himself pulled seven children from the rubble — three of them dead — by
the time he found Murielle. He had all but given up hope, he said, when the
Good Samaritan, Ronaldo Charilus, told him they had found the girl.

Charilus said Murielle was in an extreme amount of pain and at one point asked
for a cookie, as rescuers discussed what to do about her legs. A Brazilian
peacekeeper suggested cutting it, in order to save her, but he stood firm and
said no.
”I said cutting her feet was not an option and that she had all of the chance
in the world to survive with her feet intact,” he recalled. ‘They told me,
`No, there wasn’t a chance.’ I told them if they cut her feet off, we were
going to fight. They asked who am I? I said I am a citizen of this country, and
I love my country.”

Charilus took a knife and cut off Murielle’s shoes. Then he and another
volunteer poured oil and grease down her legs and pulled her out.

Charilus, who is going on his fourth day without sleep and without going home,
said he didn’t get involved with the rescue operation for pay or glory — or
because he knew any of the victims.


When President Préval chatted with him earlier in the day, he told him the only
thing he wanted as gratitude “was a piece of paper so that I can go to Canada,
or Martinique or Guadeloupe for six months or a year to study. I want to serve
my country.”

After saving Murielle on Friday night, he would later save 2-year-old Jerry
Corilan, who remains until now the last person to make it out alive from the

”Murielle and Jerry are two miracles,” said Charilus.

Leonard Esta was happy for that miracle. Even as he wondered how he would cope
with a child possibly losing her legs, he gave praise to God and Charilus.

”I had given up all hope of finding her,” he said.

© 2008 Miami Herald Media Company. All Rights


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: