Birthing tales from the boys

So this is how we started out in June 2000.  The three of us.  Carmelo had been living with Lori and I for a while and he moved in with Enoch and I two days after we got married. 

Henley was born in Aug of 2002.  I followed the same doctor I am  following now throughout my pregnancy.  He gave us two hospitals that we could check out to deliver at.  I sent Enoch to check them out as I  was so busy with the RC and clinic.  I did not have time to read any books or get prepared for the delivery.  I was just not really thinking I guess.  My doctor wanted to induce labor on the morning of the 27th.  My mom did not want him to.  The country was not very stable then and it was not really safe to be driving at night.  So by inducing I would at least be at the hospital.  We decided to think about it and we would give the doctor an answer the next day (27th).    On the morning of the 27th I woke up about 6am and my water had broke.  I was having contraction that were not that bad.  We called the doctor and he said to head down towards the hospital.  We all took showers and packed a lunch.  It was Enoch, Lori, my mom and I.  While traveling to the hospital the contractions got to about two or three minutes apart and a little stronger.  When we got to the hospital we had to check in.  Enoch went and did this and mom and Lori stayed with me.  I just really wanted to lie down.  They had to clean the room and mop to get it ready.  So here I am and I have no idea what I am doing. I have no idea if the hospital even offers medications for pain.  I have no idea what to expect.  I get in the room and get in the bed.  A midwife comes in and check me to see where I am at so she can call the doctor. I was expecting things to get more difficult and for it to take all day.  They put an IV in.   She check s me and runs out of the room.  Strange.  Then about 1 minute later the doctor comes in and says it is time to go to the delivery room.  I was like are you sure and he said I was ready.  So away we went on a little gurney down a hallway to the delivery room.  Now Enoch was really stressed out because usually the dad’s  just wait outside here and I was like dude you are going in with me.  Yeah maybe we should have thought of talking about that before hand 🙂  So when we got to the delivery room I had to move to a different bed.  Then here comes this guy behind me dress in a mask and yellow apron thing.  I was like who are you and get away from me.  It was Enoch with a funny mask.   Lori could not come in so she was looking through the little window trying to see what was happening.  The nurses told me my mom was in the corner with her head pressed aganist the wall, with her hands in the air praying and she just kept saying “Jesus”. (One a side not my mom almost died with all three of us kids, during each deliver.  She actually saw the white light and we almost lost her with Lori)  So my mom was a little stressed.  Okay back to the baby.  The doctor said to push and I did and he told Enoch in Creole that I did not push right.  And I then reminded Enoch and the doctor  (very nicely)that I spoke Creole and understood what they were saying.   So the next contraction (which by the way was not as painful as I thought it would be at all) I pushed and Henley was born.   Thta was a 9:09am he was 8 pounds 9 ounces. I stayed in the hospital for the day and went home the next morning. Total time in labor 2hours9minutes.

The day I had Trey  (April 13 2004) Enoch and I were staying in Port.  My mom and Lori were working in Cazale.   The generator broke and mom needed Enoch to come fix it.  I was at the house with Carmelo.  Enoch had to drive about 2 hours one way to get to Cazale.  He worked all day and kept checking in on us.  About 6pm I started having contractions.  I called and he was still in Cazale.  He was stressed out because he was going to be getting home so late.  He asked if everything was okay.  I was like yes we are fine, just hurry home.  I did not want him to be stressed or drive to fast to get to us.  He wanted to pick up dinner and I was like no just come on home.  So he did and got there about 8pm.  As soon as he walked in I was like we need to go.  He was like where and I said to the hospital.  He was really stressed out then.  So we took off the two of us to the hospital.  We got there and got settled in and doctor was there.  I was not ready to push yet and my water had not broke.  So we waited.  He checked me again at about 10:30pm.  Still at the same place.  Same as with Henley not bad pains.  I decided to change my position and when I did my water broke.  Within 30 seconds I was having very hard labor pains.  Enoch went to get the doctor.  They came back in with the gurney.  I could not stop the pushing and it was serious.  They wanted to get me on the stupid gurney.  So they put it beside the bed and it was about 1 foot higher than the bed.  I had a huge pain and asked the doctor and Enoch to wait just a minute for it to pass.  They tried to pick me up by my feet and shoulders and get me up on the bed.  Yes quite a site.  I told them both to wait and when the pain passed I got on the gurney.  We got to the deliver room and the doctor did not even have time to sit down and Trey was born.  It was Enoch, me and the doctor.  Trey was born at 11:45pm and weighed 8 pounds 10 ounces.  I stayed the night and left the hospital the next morning at 9am. Total time in labor 5 hours 45min.

(Trey 2 days old)

I still do not know if the hospital offers pain medication. 🙂  The hospital is located above the main town of Port-au-Prince.  It is a maternity hospital.  It has about 10 beds there.  You have to take your own sheets with you.  I had a room by myself and shared a bathroom with someone.  I believe that we  had electric most of the time.  The room had an old hospital type bed that you crank up and down.  Once you have the baby they put you and the baby in the room and if you need something you have to go find them. (the nurses)  They do not come in and check on you.

I never really considered having the kids in The US.  I have had to leave Enoch so many times I cannot imagine him not being able to see his kids when they are first born.  That would be so difficult.    He is a great dad and does everything with the kids.  He changes diapers, feeds and gets up at night with them.  We do not have health insurance so we have to save for several months to be able to pay for the doctor and birth.  The total cost is around $2500US.  This is for the doctor and the hospital stay.  So it is quite a bit cheaper for us to have the kids here.  We then go to the US embassy (our favorite place) and are able to get a US passport and a certificate of US citizen born abroad.  It is not that difficult and we had no trouble with the boys.

So we plan to head in Port-au-Prince on the 9th or 10th of August.  We will stay with one of Enoch’s brothers until the baby is born.  Once she is here and everything is okay we will return to Cazale together.  Usually within 1 to 2 days.  That is what we are looking at right now.  But you know plans can change at any minute.  Hoping and praying for a easy labor with this one.



14 Responses to Birthing tales from the boys

  1. Keverly says:

    Loved reading this 🙂 But I have to say it was much more entertaining in the reenactment in your office. Praying for an easy delivery!

  2. debra parker says:

    Love this post and I love your hair all down. You are such a beautiful person, inside and out.

  3. Stephanie S says:

    Great post! Your are such an amazing woman!!

  4. Tressa says:

    Enjoyed that post! Thanks for sharing. You have always had this glow about yourself. Like a Saint!
    Praying for an easy delivery! Cant wait to see what this baby girl will look like!

  5. Ronda says:

    Love the tan you have going on in Henley’s pic. AWESOME 😉

  6. Janet P says:

    Do you go to L’Hopitalier Ruelle Berne? That is where Jeanita was born. I have wondered if that one is still standing. No A/C, shared bathroom etc. Oh, and I just LOVED being told to get up on the gurney in the middle of a contraction. I don’t remember this, but I’m told that I said, “If you want me to get up there, you’re gonna have to put me there yourselves!”

  7. Bekki says:

    Wow – you have babies like I do! Just pop them out! I can’t wait to hear about your daughter’s birth – she will undoubtably be just a beautiful as her brothers and will soon have everyone wrapped around her little finger.

    Saw Lori tonight – MISS you!

  8. Audrey Ann says:

    I am so happy for you! I will be praying for you and the baby! 🙂

  9. Dee Pring says:

    Love the pictures and stories but wondering about that “office renactment”? Maybe a video could capture it? 😉 Blessings on all of you as you wait for your new little girl! (you know your mom will be watching from Heaven and smiling a mile wide)

  10. Kristie says:

    Beautiful stories and beautiful family. I love it, Licia. Thanks for sharing!

  11. Heather says:

    Thanks for sharing. Great stories.

  12. Debby Smith says:

    Third delivery is usually different in some way. My third was the fastest, 9 1/2 hours. She was 11 pounds, 5 ounces with no pain meds. She broke her collar bone when she was born. The newborn clothes did not fit. My first was 24 hour labor with 2 hours of pushing. You are lucky things go quicker and easier for you. praying the birth of your girl goes well.

  13. Sarah F. says:

    It’s wonderful getting to know a bit more about you outside of your awe inspiring work. Thank you for sharing with us, it’s a privilege to read your story.

  14. Amy says:

    Love this post! Just loved it!

    ~Amy in WI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: